Friday 31 October 2014

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween all!

Today I have been very busy with the kids! I have gone shopping, made cakes & giant cookies, hollowed out a butternut squash (no pumpkins available), made a lovely soup, and (catches breath) made a cottage pie... PHEW!

And over all this, today was the day my novella, EMILY, became available to read via all eReaders!

I know I should be overjoyed & excited about this, but the truth is I am really nervous and can only hope the feedback (if any) is good.

I wrote Emily to fill a gap and to understand my character better when I was writing RETURN. I never knew if I would ever finish to story. In the end, I had fun completing it and when I shared it with a few friends & readers they enjoyed it...

I have to admit that there is a bit of an eighties flashback going on during the plot. A lot of memories that for some will mean nothing, and for others will hopefully raise a smile. I spent HOURS rewinding and fixing cassettes when I was growing up! I thought I was so cool walking around with my Sony Walkman, which was massive compared to today's tiny music devices!

Anyway, for your enjoyment, here is an exclusive extract from EMILY...

The shop was massive inside. Music was playing, but she could not see the speakers. There were plenty of records and little boxes with the same picture neatly organised in alphabetical order. She picked one up, but it was sealed so she could not open it to look inside.

‘That’s a cassette, you know that right,’ Paul asked.

‘No, I’ve never seen one before,’ she snapped. She did not want to be nasty, but this was getting ridiculous. Why didn’t they have cassettes back home? She always thought they were up to date – so much for that.

‘You’re funny. Come with me.’

He grabbed her hand and led her to the counter. ‘Can you pass me a cassette, please? She’s never seen one.’

‘Really?’ The man looked flummoxed, then shrugged his shoulders and handed one over.

‘This is a cassette. The music is recorded onto it and you put it in a cassette player.’

‘It’s small compared to a record.’

‘That’s why it’s better than a record. Saying that, sometimes the tape gets caught and I have to fix it with sellotape. It’s not perfect. Difficult. Records also get scratched. Okay, stop looking at me like that. I know I’ve gone all nerdy. I like my music.’

‘I’m interested – promise.’ Totally interested.

‘Anyway, cassettes and records – until someone comes up with something better. As if, right?’ he laughed aloud.

‘Yes,’ she laughed with him. ‘Nothing could be better than this.’

You can read the rest and find out what happens by clicking on the links!

Thank you for your support, Vanessa

Amazon    Smashwords    Barnes & Noble   iTunes 

Emily has not changed in fifty years. A freak accident made her immortal, or so she thinks. When she is finally allowed to return to her beloved England all is not as she expected. So much has changed. The past she was holding onto does not exist. Since the Second World War, people have embraced a new age. In this era, people have an obsession with gadgets, strange clothes and weird music.

Added to this her blood-lust has become insatiable and her promise to control herself is torn to shreds. That is until she meets Paul. She never expected to find love... and when it happens, can she do what it takes to hold on to it?

Fate has never been kind to Emily, and it gives her everything she wants at a cost. She must pay a price for being a murderer. For within her twisted heart lies a dark soul.





2 comments:

  1. Good luck with this Vanessa! I'm lagging behind with so much reading now. Next year, next year….I'll get to read the other Hybrid books and this too. Life will begin again when this Master's is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Val... there are a lot of great books out there. So much to read... so little time :)

    ReplyDelete